- English Name: Orange or Tangerine Peel
- Pinyin Name: Chen Pi
- Regulates Qi, Regulates Qi and Harmonizes the Middle Jiao.
Improves transporting function of the Spleen, relieves diaphragm – epigastric/abdominal distention, fullness, bloating, belching, nausea, and poor appetite. Vomiting (promotes movement of Qi in general, specifically directing it downward. Good for different types of nausea/vomiting).
- For accumulation of Phlegm and Damp in the Middle Jiao with symptoms such as fatigue, low appetite, loose stool, diarrhoea, abdominal fullness, chest oppression, and a greasy think tongue coating.
- Dissolves Phlegm and Stops Cough: Important herb for drying dampness and the transformation of phlegm – coughs with stifling sensation in the chest/diaphragm, and copious viscous sputum (Qi-level herb).
- For accumulation of phlegm and Qi in the Lungs due to a weakness of the Spleen’s transforming function with symptoms such as cough with profuse phlegm, wheezing, dyspnea, and stifling sensation in the chest.
- Prevents stagnation – prevents cloying of tonifying herbs.
- Ju Hong is the red part of the tangerine peel – it is more drying and aromatic.
- ◦ Lung ◦ Spleen ◦ Stomach
Associated Temperature and Taste:
- ◦ Warm (Wen) ◦ Aromatic ◦ Bitter ◦ Acrid (Spicy)
Latin: Pericarpium Citri Reticulatae
Alt Names: Ju Pi, Guang Chen Pi, Xin Hui Pi
Dosage and Preparation Notes:
- Dosage: 3-9g
Chinese Herb Contraindications & Cautions
Use with caution in cases with excess internal heat, fluid deficiency, and in cases with cough due to Qi or Yin Deficiency.
Chinese Herb Notes
Chen Pi helps to prevent stagnation in tonifying formulas by balancing the cloying nature of other herbs.
This herb is especially useful for Qi disorders involving both the Lung and Spleen Channels.
Make at Home
Take your orange or tangerine peel, after you’ve eating the flesh of the fruit. Cut into thin stips as photo. Place in greaseproof paper or tinfoil and dry on a radiator. Store in an air tight jar is a dry dark (inside cupboard) place.
James O’Sullivan from Galway is a credible and engaging speaker, a people friendly practitioner and lecturer of Integrated Medicine, serving his patients, his students and the public with the positive benefits of both Conventional Western Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine. He is a respected author and has appeared on many public media. #jamushur